Letters and Fetters

Letters and Fetters

Sunday, November 2, 2008

What am I doing here?



And how did I get here?


First, I opened a somehow forgotten email by my supervisor, exhorting me to take a self-paced class. So, I hurried to get started. The first task was to do an inventory about what I already knew about Web 2.0. Since I still don't know what Web 2.0 is, I answered "low" on the list of items.





So, now on to the Seven Habits of Lifelong Learners


The points I thought were most helpful were three -- see problems as challenges -- and five -- create your own learning toolbox. It's great to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. To have a healthy perspective on problems can get you through obstacles. Defeatism gets you nowhere.





Toolboxes are always fun. If you can look at problems as a canvas and means to overcome them as brushes, gum erasers and oil pastels, it just makes it almost enjoyable.

The hardest point was point one, setting goals. My mom was a listmaker. She made lists for everything. She made lists of her lists (not really). To take the time to set goals has never helped me in life. It just took more time that could be put to better use. I'd like to see a study that showed that setting goals really saves time in the long run. But, for this exercise, I set a goal.

My goal is to learn about the daughters in Shakespeare's plays and to have a presentation ready by Nov. 18, since I need to do that anyway. I also set the goal of having a draft ready to go by Nov. 10. So, maybe it will help to have target dates, or goals.






Where did I put that palette, anyway?

(Son Mike dressed as a "geek" for Halloween and looks like the poster child for lifelong learning.)

No comments:

Blog Archive