Letters and Fetters

Letters and Fetters

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Glad I did what I did

After years of taking care of my kids and hearing ominous warnings about the need for saving for retirement, I can look back and say: I invested in the right things.

I could have put the kids in day care and gone to shuffle papers somewhere. I might have gotten a higher degree and been able to wear nice clothes. My kids, being in day care, would not have created all the messes they did in my own house, but would have made the messes in someone else's house.

I could have let someone else watch their first steps, heard their first words, colored their first pictures. I could have lived in a nicer house, driven nicer cars, gone on vacation more.

And I could have put away a good portion of my pay for retirement.

But now that retirement income has been diminished by half, I'm glad I stayed home.

I have more to show from my time at home than I would have for time away.

No comments:

Blog Archive