Letters and Fetters

Letters and Fetters

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Good to be home

I like to say how much I hate South Dakota weather sometimes, but I realized, maybe for the first time, that South Dakota is really home now. Even its weather is my weather. I watched on mom's TV the news of the Christmas blizzard as it hit South Dakota, and I felt -- LEFT OUT!
California in December is drizzle and rain, fog and cold. It's a damp cold. I'd rather be outside on a sunny, 10 above day in South Dakota than out on a damp, drizzly 50 degree day in Sacramento.
I looked on Facebook and saw all the excitement and fake chagrin as every South Dakota contact energized their households to face the snow. And I missed it all.

Now that I've been through Blizzard #2, complete with snow day and half snow day, I can say. I'm a true blue South Dakotan. I even like being one. Do I like the cold? No! But it's part of me and always will be.

No comments:

Blog Archive